SEC. 1401. PURPOSE AND PROGRAM AUTHORIZATION.
- (a) PURPOSE- It is the purpose of this part —
- (1) to improve educational services for children and youth in local and State institutions for neglected or delinquent children and youth so that such children and youth have the opportunity to meet the same challenging State academic content standards and challenging State student academic achievement standards that all children in the State are expected to meet;
- (2) to provide such children and youth with the services needed to make a successful transition from institutionalization to further schooling or employment; and
- (3) to prevent at-risk youth from dropping out of school, and to provide dropouts, and children and youth returning from correctional facilities or institutions for neglected or delinquent children and youth, with a support system to ensure their continued education.
- (b) PROGRAM AUTHORIZED- In order to carry out the purpose of this part and from amounts appropriated under section 1002(d), the Secretary shall make grants to State educational agencies to enable such agencies to award subgrants to State agencies and local educational agencies to establish or improve programs of education for neglected, delinquent, or at-risk children and youth.